Here will appear any messages related to outages at the Obama Conspiracy Theories blog. For additional information, check the VPS.net status page; I’m on the Atlanta D-1 server. Also you can test the site with the Is it Down Right Now? web site. Links to these under Bookmarks on the right.
- October 5, 2015 9:24 PM. Site not responding. Filed support ticked with VPS.NET. Now returning 500 Internal Service error. Back up at 11:25. VPS.NET fixed whatever it was.
- March 8, 2105 10:30 PM. Site not responding. Filed support ticket. They report: “It is a temporary issue. Our infrastructure engineers are doing their best to resolve this issue as soon as possible.” Back up at 10:50.
- July 17, 2013 8:00 AM EDT. Site not responding. Back up after 10 minutes.
- July 16, 2014. We are experiencing “500 Internal Server Error” messages. This is typically a configuration problem. A ticket has been filed with my hosting company. They were doing server maintenance. Back up.
- March 15, 2014. We are experiencing timeouts, very slow response and database connection errors. Somehow the code to disable XCache was removed. This had been fixed.
- February 14, 2014. Site down. It looks like a host outage. Support ticket opened at 10:25 AM EST. Back up.
- January 31, 2014. Due to a tiny typo on my part, all of the articles at Obama Conspiracy Theories have been wiped. My most recent backup is from July 22. I have contacted my hosting company to see if they have anything. The most recent archive of the site at The WayBack Machine is January 25. I hope that from the backup, the WayBack Machine and the syndication at Before It’s News, I will be able to recover pretty much everything, but it will be a long a protracted process. Comments were not affected. Update:My hosting company says that they have some backups. The backup available is from January 25 and has been loaded on my file system. Now I have to “learn the tools.”I told the hosting company the wrong database to restore. I corrected that and then they restored a different wrong one. On the plus side, I now have MySQL 5.1 running on my computer, and I have figured how to get a downloaded raw database connected to it. I also have found that Delphi XE4 that I use for development supports MySQL 5.1. I’ll start on getting that working while waiting on the database restore.I now have a copy of the site database from 1/25/2014 at 10:33 AM sitting on my desktop computer, and I have a working copy of MySQL, and I have worked out the issues of getting Delphi XE4 connected to it. So the next step is to write a program that will take the post content from my desktop database and put it into the site’s database. Fortunately MySQL just hooked right up to the raw downloaded database. Some of the recent articles were recovered from the on-disk working copies created by Windows Live Write (the program I write the blog with) and a couple were recovered from Before It’s News.The blog is now restored with all articles and comments intact.
- 14 September 2013. Site extremely slow. Ticket opened with hosting provider.
- 9 September 2013: Site down. Hosting company VPS.NET having outage with Atlanta D-1 server. Back up. Down about and hour and a half.
- 21 July 2013: I have added a dedicated IP address to the site to prevent issues with other shared hosting accounts (see below). This will cause some disruption of service until the new IP address propagates across the Internet, up to 24 hours. Sorry for the inconvenience. Once the new IP address crosses the Internet, your computer may have an old copy. Restart the computer, or under Windows, enter the following in the cmd window: ipconfig /flushdns. See instructions in more detail here. Update: My esteemed hosting company has a bug in its DNS update plug-in and left the site in an inconsistent state. This has been fixed. You might be able to reach the site temporarily here. You may also need to empty your browser cache if you see a persistent page saying that the site is temporarily unavailable (I had to do this). Update 2: 22 July 2013. All known issues are resolved.
- 18 July 2013: The IP address of the shared server hosting the Obama Conspiracy Theories web site has been block listed by the Combined Block List. This means that emails sent by the site to some mail hosts will be rejected or marked as spam by others. If you subscribe to comments, you may not be able to receive email notifications until this is resolved. This is the result of some other site on the same server hosting malware and not something I can fix. The problem has been reported to VPS.net.
- June 29-30, 2013: Site down due to hosting company storage failure. Power failure and backup generators failed. Read the whole sorry thing on their status page. At 7:01 EDT they said: “The storage repairs are almost completed now. VPS.NET Engineers are continuing to complete all the needed work to startup the affected cloud servers.” Site down 12 hours so far.
- May 4, 2013 9:37 PM: Entire site down.
- May 2, 2013 7:55 PM: sporadic Server Unavailable (503) errors. Support ticket opened. Problem ongoing as of May 4.
- 8 AM April 19th – 8 PM April 20th: 10 minutes down time scheduled somewhere in there to upgrade server hardware.
- April 4, 2012 1:27 PM: Site inaccessible due to network outage at hosting provider. Back up.
- January 7, 2013 8:30 AM: Site times out. Ticket opened with hosting provider. Back up.
- July 8, 2012: 10:45: Database Connection error. Ticket opened with hosting provider. Back up.
- July 7, 2012 8:30 AM: Site not responding. Ticket opened with hosting provider. Back up.
- July 5, 2012 8:00 AM: Site not responding, timeout. Ticket opened with the hosting provider. Back up.
- July 2, 2012 7:09 PM: Site responding with “Error establishing database connection” error. Ticket opened with the hosting provider. Back up.
- July 1, 2012 3:06 PM: Site not responding. The hosting company broke their hypervisor. Expected up at 3:40 PM. Back up.
- May 16, 2012 10:00 PM: Site will be down for maintenance for 4 hours. For info see hosting company status page. Back up.
- May 2, 2012 11:14 PM: Site times out. Ticket opened with hosting provider. Back up.
- April 23, 2012 12:58 PM: Site unreachable after being slow. Back up.
- February 18, 2012 9:08 PM: Hosting company performed emergency maintenance to correct performance problems. Site back up.
- February 18, 2012 7:14 PM: Site unreachable. Support ticked created.
- February 14, 2012 7:27 AM: The site is experiencing some slowness and not responding due to hardware issues and the application of software fixes. More information is available on my hosting company’s status page (link above).
- February 10, 2012 9:00 PM: The blog footers went wandering around the page. This was traced to a fault in the Text widgets, removed flag and put it back for now and things back to normal.
- February 10, 2012 7:57 AM: DNS continues to change from old to new site and back. Totally weird. This should all be over at noon when the 1-day time to life (TTL) of the old entries runs out.
- February 9, 2012 4:43 PM: DNS is bounding all over the place here, but performance on the new site is good. Performance on the old site is awful. My decision to move the site has worked out well so far.
- February 9, 2012 3:08 PM:DNS has changed here and I was able to get a new article on the site. Then the DNS switched back to the old value. I was on the new site long enough to change the mast head to “2.1” so you can tell at a glance where you are.
- February 9, 2012 2 PM: DNS has still not propagated here to AT&T. I’m going to go ahead and publish my latest article at the old site, and then at the new site when I can.
- February 9, 2012 12:16 PM:The move is complete; however, it will take some time for the site’s new IP address to propagate across the Internet. Some DNS servers have it now, and some don’t. When I can get on the new site, I will update the Site’s masthead to “Obama Conspiracy Theories 2.1.”
- February 9, 2012 11:53 AM:I have authorized the move to start. Faced between another server in Atlanta with different disks and Amsterdam, I chose Atlanta because I would expect it to run faster for the majority of my visitors who are in North America. Since a backup of the site is what will be moved, comments left after the backup will be lost.
- February 9, 2012 10:49 AM:The site is being moved to a “more stable cloud” so there will be limited down time for the switch over. We’re down at the moment. My guess is that the site will have a new IP address when it comes up, so you might enter the command “ipconfig /flushdns” to refresh your computer’s DNS cache or reboot.
- February 9, 2012 7:18 AM: Site back up. The hosting company says: “ we are sorry for the problems caused the reason of downtime was very high load on CH server.
it is now resolved and we are actively monitoring the situation.”
- February 8, 2012 9:46 PM: Continued site instability due to SAN problems at my hosting company, VPS.NET. You may experience timeouts, 500 Internal Server, Connection Reset by Server or Unable to reach Server. This issue will likely continue until VPS.NET installs new hardware.